Metro etiquettes: When commuting turns into a nightmare!

on Feb 07, 2013 , 12:26 pm
Its been almost a decade I have been traveling by Delhi Metro and every ride has been an experience in its own unique way. While theres no doubt that Metro has become a lifeline for thousands of daily commuters but the highly annoying metro mannerism has given me enough reasons to get irked. Be it people eating in the metro, gossiping at their highest pitch, listening to the loudest music ever or trying to shove in themselves in that little space between already seated passengers. Ahhh! It makes me furious like no other thing. Not that I dont understand how difficult it is a task to travel by metro, especially if you have to stand all through that one hour painful journey but still, abiding by some basic etiquettes is the least we can do.

Of all the things, littering in metro is one thing that leaves me highly disgusted. The other day while traveling from Gurgaon to Delhi via metro, I saw a young girl who boarded the metro with a corn cob in her hand. Just when I thought to myself is she going to eat this inside the metro, she started taking a bite and chewing it in a really weird manner. As I stood just next to her and saw her littering on the metro floor, I couldnt hold myself and went up to her and requested to not eat the next time shes in the train. Giving me that staring cold look, she got off at the next station and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Its just one of the incidents. Another really irritating trait that I have seen mostly among women traveling in metro is playing loud music in their mobile phones. At times, it appears that they have bought the most expensive Smartphone but the cheap pair of earphones ruins all the fun and makes it a torture for the person standing nearby. Some are so shamelessly that despite knowing that their so-called favourite music or the track being played is causing discomfort of others, they wont lower the volume. I wish there was some check on this too like other security measures.

Moving on, I seriously cant tolerate those fat 40 something aunties trying to shove in and adjust themselves comfortably in the merely little space between the seats. Someone please tell them its not right to embarrass the other person so much so that by sitting partially on their lap, you eventually force them to get up and offer you their seat. Alas! This happens only in India and Delhi Metro.

Last but the not the least, sitting on the metro floor is something that exceeds the height of tolerance. I mean, its really terrible when the most educated lot would do such things and putting others to shame. Sadly, theres no check as such within the metro that can warn these people who sit comfortably on the floors, obstruct the passage and make it tough for others to move.

Sometimes I feel sad for the poor metro officials and staff who have put in so much effort to record those apparently useful and instructive announcements because clearly no one listens to them. Violating the rules, going against the set laws and enjoying the metro ride in the worst possible way seem to be the latest in-thing that Delhi people enjoy the most. Hope there would be some stern steps taken to ensure that metro etiquettes are well adhered to and everyone can have a peaceful ride.

Praveen Patel
meet ya you happy
on Feb 27, 2013 , 03:26 pm
Praveen Patel
hiiiiiii
on Feb 27, 2013 , 03:14 pm
Neelam Nath
metro is new blue line bus...never mind the 40 plus aunties..they are conditioned since,childhood not to learn...and they feel great being "rebels" everyone can not be phoolan devi....
on Feb 11, 2013 , 08:14 pm
Utkantha Srivastava
i was instantly inside the metro while reading your blog and pictured all this happening iin front of me. 40 plus aunties are then too execusable due to their lack of etiquette but what about those fat young girls who tell you to adjust. They are the most irritating.
on Feb 08, 2013 , 10:27 am
Monika Rawal replies to Utkantha Srivastava
LOL. I know how it feels. But sadly, no one takes any initiative to do something about this. How would people change is the question to be addressed.
on Feb 08, 2013 , 11:32 am
Utkantha Srivastava replies to Monika Rawal
You know what I do in the situation like this. I just stare at that person with the most disgusted look at my face and even then if she does not understand, i just walk away. I am happy to stand then to be bullied felt by a lady and inhale her exotic mixed smell of perfume and pheromones. Sometimes they feel guilty and sometimes they dont but ultimately I feel fine.
on Oct 23, 2013 , 12:53 pm
Mayurnath Reve
I don't understand why do ppl have such double standards? On one hand they crib that infrastructure is limited & need to be on par with global standards & on the other hand,while government goes ahead &provides one, they treat it wth utter apathy & callousness.The Metro scenario that you mentioned is a shame on our nation.No matter how "advanced" we get, ppl lack Civic Sense & will continue 2 behave like Uncouth savages.
on Feb 07, 2013 , 02:40 pm
Monika Rawal replies to Mayurnath Reve
I second that. so that means, only government and metro officials can take some action and situations can improve in our country.
on Feb 08, 2013 , 11:36 am
Mayurnath Reve replies to Monika Rawal
Actually you have come up with an equally good argument.The fact is that even these officials are aware of public behavior in Metros or any transport facility bcoz of which even they give up in all their efforts to make travel clean & safe.They argue tht ppl hav no civic sense & don't give a damn thn y should we bother? In short, it's the unfortunate & cliched "Chalta Hai" Attitude here as well.
on Feb 08, 2013 , 03:54 pm